Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Second Helping

There I sat at the dinner table as a child and as usual I was the last to leave. Mom would pile anything left on the table on my plate. There wasn't much left usually. She had to feed eight of us. I earned the nickname of the human trashcan. I made sure there were no leftovers. It made the job of cleanup a little easier. That was a compliment to her. She received satisfaction  that the meal was eaten and that everyone was full and she had done a great job.
   Sometimes I think of life in that way. You know those times when life is going great and everything looks so good that you have to partake of seconds. The days that keep you coming back for more. The days that you look forward to with anticipation.  There are a lot of things that can make you feel this way.  Maybe it's just the fact you get to wake up every morning next to your best friend. Maybe it's anticipating  your life together. Maybe it's a career you love. It might be that the good Lord worked a miracle in your life and you can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.  For some it might be that you were handed a death sentence in the form of a terminal disease but you beat it. Now you wake up every day with a sense of gratitude  and purpose truly thankful for every new day. That is your second helping.
    We all come to a crossroad in life. It's the point in life where we can be happy and full with where we are in life. There is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes  God shows us what and where we could be and get a little more out of our lives. He shows us ways to be a blessing to someone else. We see areas where we could be encouragement for someone in need. Maybe it's a life experience that we dealt with that   we can help someone else get through.
    2015 has been full of ups and downs. It's had it shares of highs and lows. I've lost some great friends to cancer. I had the opportunity to make one of them smile one more time before she left this life. For a brief second she forgot about the pain and smiled. It wasn't much but I will remember it for the rest of my life.
  I realize just like with dinner life doesn't always offer seconds. Sometimes it's just enough to get by.  It's a quick easy meal designed to satisfy the need and no more.  But every once in a while you encounter  the feast and there are seconds for everyone.  If you have the chance dive into that second Helping and enjoy what's in front of you.

Kenney Pope
    

No comments:

Post a Comment