Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Power Of Music

One of the things I remember as a child was that there was always some great music around. My oldest brother at one time had an incredible record collection.  Between him and my mom I was exposed to a lot of musical influences. Some I cherish still today while others not so much.
   My mom was a huge Barry Manilow fan and I grew up loving the man's music. To me there was no denying he was a talented artist. We grew up listening to  just from her musical taste  anything from Bobby Vinton to Slim Whitman. The latter I'm not so much a huge fan. She was also a fan of Elvis Presley.
    My brother was into the 70's music scene and I grew up a child of the 80's and still lots of new music I love today.  So when I say my musical taste is diverse I'm telling the truth.
     What I've found is that all styles of music can be powerful and provoke feelings and sometimes even memories. Sometimes I hear a song and it can take me back to my childhood. Maybe it just enforces an emotional bond to a certain someone.  I can sometimes hear an older song and remember where I was the first time I heard it.
   I remember my first serious girlfriend. I had just started driving. We had freedom to just go where we wanted to. No chaperone just her and I. I remember her breaking my heart. I can still remember hearing songs on the radio I had probably heard most of my life. It was strange but all of a sudden I knew what those sad love songs were all about. I could now relate on a personal level to those songs. I knew what being heartbroken was all about.
     This revelation about the power of music all came to me last Saturday night while sitting at an Air Supply concert.  They started singing a song I've heard hundreds of times in my life. That night it took on a new meaning. The song in case you are wondering was "Two Less Lonely People In The World".  My eyes filled with tears because this woman sitting beside me had taken the loneliness away from me and had replaced it with a love like I've never known.  When she looked over my way I tried to hide the tears. But the tears were just streaming down my face. All this from just a song crazy huh? 
     One the things I love about Cynthia is our musical connection. We both love all types but we love a lot of the same.  I am growing musically every year and learning to appreciate music that even though they aren't singing in my language I can feel the power of it and the emotion.
    If you want to upset someone just tell them that their taste in music stinks.  As I've tried to make a point. Its more than just music it's the soundtrack of our lives. There is nothing like the power of music.
Go ahead crank it up and make some memories.
Kenney Bigskinny Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment