Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Growing Up

I am probably like every adult when I say I guess I didn't realize how easy it was to be a kid. What was my biggest concern? Making sure I kept my grades up so as to not get grounded?  Making sure I kept my room clean so I could go out and play? My parents had the weight of the world on their shoulders and I never knew it.  As far as I knew things were tight sometimes financially but we never missed out on anything. We still had takeout chicken every Friday and went out  occasionally on Saturday nights as a family to eat and  shopping.  There were six of us kids, Mom and Dad so as you can imagine it was tight financially.  But my mother  was a magician at stretching a dollar. I appreciate her wisdom more now than I ever did as a child.
      I think some of my fondest memories were of sitting around the dinner table
There we were all eight of us laughing and talking. My oldest brother James"Scooter" making gagging noises because mom was making him eat vegetables, which he hated.  There are a lot of memories in that old house. 
   What I am trying to say is that life was simple and carefree.  As a child we had no Idea of the massive responsibility that lay ahead of us being a parent.  We are financially responsible, spiritually as well. We have to make sure they have what they need to pass along to their kiddos.  Show them love and a nurturing environment. I can still feel that in the walls of my childhood house.  I still feel at home there when I walk in the door.
    My dad at 78 still lives there. Mom passed in 04.  The big family dinner is a thing of the past.  Nowadays my dad just sits at the TV to eat his dinner.  Things were a lot better in some ways back then. I heard the older generations say that many times growing up but never understood it. I get it now. Things were less busy and family was only second to God.  All I can do now is look back fondly on my childhood and smile knowing that all of it made me who I am today.

Dedicated to my Mama.
Billie Marie Pope
1/08/39--8/01/04
Miss you every day Mama
I really miss your fried chicken.

Kenney Pope
3/8/15
As I write this date I realize today would have been wedding anniversary number 56 for mom and dad.

    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment