Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Letter To My Late Mother



Billie Marie Pope 

I know that she won’t read this or respond back but I think it helps some
Hey Mom, just wondering how you are doing? How does it feel to be pain free? I hope that you think of me often because I think of you daily and miss you a lot. I truly regret all the times I called the house and asked for dad and didn’t spend more time talking to you. I absolutely had no clue that you would be taken away so soon in my life.  I know that you did your best to prepare me for the future. I just wish I would have spent more time learning about your past.  There are so many questions that are left unanswered. I miss the chats we would have about life in general. I miss talking to you about books and music.  I miss your popcorn visits as you would call them. You would drop by for about 5 minutes and you would be ready to leave.  I wish I could have 5 more minutes of your time. I hope that is not being selfish, you raised me better than that.  How Is Granny and “Scooter” doing? Can he still root for his Cowboys from up there? They need the help of Heaven for a miracle this year. I am not sure you would believe how well dad is doing. He still loves his wrestling and old westerns.  We try our best to get the family together like you would want us to.  Your granddaughters are all grown up with children of their own and you would be proud of the women they turned out to be. I would say that life is good for me. I feel sometimes that you are looking down on me and maybe sometimes you have God’s ear because I feel his blessings a lot.  I think you might have something to do with that.  I tell you mom I found a girl that you would love. She reminds me so much of you it is unreal.  She has a lot of your traits but has a lot more patience. That is a good thing because I constantly test it. She loves me anyway. She takes such good care of me.  I feel that you might have led me to her.  Is that crazy?  I don’t think so. I often find myself thinking about all the good times we had. Do you remember the times that you pulled me out of school early to take me shopping with you so that you did not have to go alone?  I can remember those days like they were yesterday.   I can remember every Christmas we would always get what we asked for.  I remember my first brand new stereo that you bought for me.  I can still remember the way it smelled when I pulled it out of the box.  I still remember how many times I was grounded and forced to read because there was nothing else to do in my room except stare at the walls.  I owe a lot of what I am to you. I could not have asked for a better mother. You would be the first to admit that you weren’t perfect but you did your best and your children respected you for it.  I can say there were many times that I was not happy at the time of punishment. I can also say that those punishments saved me a lot of heartache. I did not understand your reasoning back then but I get it now. This time of year always makes me think about how that you never wore a coat in the winter time just a wind breaker or denim jacket. You were one tough woman.  I hear a lot of people say that they do not want to become their parents when it comes to disciplining their child but I do not feel that way at all.  Thank you for teaching me right from wrong and for loving me.   I wish I would have told you more that I loved you mom but I didn’t. I will tell you now, I love you mom and miss you. Please keep a watchful eye over us. 
P.S I dearly miss your fried chicken and Italian Creme Cake    
Take care mom I will talk to you soon.
Your Son
Kenney Pope  


No comments:

Post a Comment