Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

To Text or Not to Text That is the Question

My morning started like every morning does. I grab my morning coffee and head out to the back patio. Just on the other side of the sliding glass door, my morning perch awaits.  I sit in silence watching my dogs as they take care of their business and I scroll through Facebook like I am reading the morning newspaper. I am usually up first, after about 20 minutes or so Cynthia makes her way to the patio. It’s usually good morning or the like. There is some small talk but Cynthia is not a morning person so I will let her wake up before I try to carry on a conversation. So there we both are sitting in silence with phones in hands scrolling through social media.  I feel like every one of my friends have become celebrities and I can’t wait to see what is happening in their lives each and every day.  Am I alone in this fascination or are there others beginning their day the same way.  I mean I understand wanting to keep in touch but has social media become an addiction?  I find that a lot of the time, me and Cynthia find ourselves talking about stories, videos and or pictures we see on social media. Who would have thunk it years ago?
     Okay so here we are with a good chunk of time spent holding a phone in our hands. I just painted our picture and you know it’s true.  My question is….. What is the primary purpose of a phone? Well 20 years ago it would have been a simpler answer. It would have been to call someone or to take a call from someone. But that is not the case so much anymore. Nowadays it’s all about texting someone. I rarely get phone calls anymore from family members it usually a series of text messages.  Don’t get me started on a group text. My family consists of about 40 people and when you put everyone on a group text it’s a day of getting interrupted by someone texting it up with another family member. Then you have that person that wants to text you and they can type 50 lines to your 1 you are so far behind their questioning that it’s a lost cause.  Just for the record, my fingers are huge and I can punch a lot of keys at once, so slow down speed racer if you want to text with me.  Mmmmm hey here is an idea friggin call me and we can keep up just fine with a conversation. 
     Look I get it; sometimes it takes a lot out of you to deal with certain people. The complaining family member that always has something wrong with them, just send them a text. You can erase the text list of complaints. It’s a convenience I know it is for me. I text message Cynthia every day when I get to work, so she knows I made it.  Just know that if the text doesn’t come at a certain time the proper authorities will be called. She takes it quite seriously.  I am not saying not to text, just saying pick up the phone and place a call every once in a while.  Being a hermit sucks and you will enjoy human contact once again.   
Call me let’s do lunch (no Texts please)

Kenney Pope 

No comments:

Post a Comment