Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Hello Fall





One of the things I enjoyed about working outdoors were the seasonal changes in the weather. I especially liked when summer gave way to autumn. You could see the blue-gray clouds in the distance as a front blew through. You just knew the temperatures were about to drop. Sometimes it would be accompanied by rain. Sometimes it was just a shift in the wind. I love that feeling and it always gives me goosebumps. You can feel the air as it gets drier and the temperature drops maybe 20 plus degrees.   It’s almost like you could feel summer release its grip and hand the reins over to good old fall time.
   I have to say I am prejudice to Texas up front. I am sure that there are a lot of pretty places in the fall time. I just love the weather here. I love the days when you can be comfortable in a sweatshirt and jeans. I love the days where the windows are raised up at the house and rolled down in the car.  The crisp air does something to the sound waves because everything just sounds like it so much closer. The leaves changing colors are a sight to behold.  The pumpkin patches and Halloween just around the corner. The air smells fresher outside.  The sounds and sight of our beloved pastime, football in Texas there is nothing like Friday night lights in the crisp fall evenings. We have our State Fair and everything fried to a crispy golden brown.  Fall time is when we celebrate one of the greatest holidays. I love Thanksgiving with all of its traditions.  I have so many fond memories growing up in a big family and celebrating Thanksgiving holidays. I am sure we all have our stories and memories of fall time in Texas. Can you remember raking the fallen leaves into the big pile to run and jump into?  I can remember me and my older brothers along with their friends playing Sunday afternoon football.  I remember chopping wood and gathering kindling for when it would start getting colder.  I remember how we had to adjust as the nights came earlier with the darkness. We really had to rush to get our chores done after school.  One of the things I hated most was feeding the chickens. I especially hated it when it got dark out. There is nothing like sticking your hand in a 55 gallon drum full of corn feed to feel a mouse or rat run across your arm.  That was not a favorite experience, but I will take some bad with the good. 

        I get antsy this time of year because I know it’s just around the corner and I can almost feel it.  I know that there are some that hate the cooler weather. I will say as I get older, the aches and pains are far worse in the colder months.  I will say once again that I will take a little bad for all the good.  i realize that we are all different and there is no way to make everyone happy at once. So for all of you Summer lovers it's over you have had your pool time and sitting outdoors sucking up margaritas and ice cold lemonade and the like. Us non summer people have humored your kind and sat outside pretending we are having fun all the while being eat up by what I can only guess is a cross between a piranhas and a mosquitos. We have all thankfully dodged West Nile Virus . Did you ask if we were okay? We have partaken in what you non nonchalantly call a hike in the wilderness. I refer to it as a sweat fest. The camping trip with no electricity or running water, that was a priceless gem of a trip.
We have done it with style and grace just for you, our summer loving freaky sweaty friends. So I say suck it up put your man pants on and maybe a parka a sweat shirt, thermal underwear a big fuzzy sweater, a stocking cap and ear muffs, maybe then you will get an inkling of what we feel like in the summer. I'm only kidding sort of. You can take off the ear muffs. I want you to hear that we still love you our summer loving friends. I hope you enjoy Fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment