Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Friday, August 7, 2015

The Price Of Freedom

Can you remember your first car? I can. It wasn't  much to look at but it was mine. I remember my dad paying 500.00 for it, with the stipulation that I pay on it every pay period until it was paid off.  Then the day came when my dad brought it home. I had never seen it until then.  I was excited to say the least. My first set of wheels.  It was a 1969 Ford Ranger.  Now that was when the Ranger was a full size truck.  I was officially a truck man (still am ).  I remember getting the keys and walking out to inspect my ticket of freedom and independence.
      It was red and white with a short wheel base.  She ran great on a 351 Windsor or Cleveland can't remember which. It had one blemish that was pointed out immediately.  The gas gauge did not work, but I didn't care. I would always have a full tank of gas in it.(can't even begin to count how many times I ran out of gas)  Next question was how did the stereo work, how did it sound? Well there was blemish number 2. It only had a AM Radio. No problem I can put a stereo system in it.  It needed a little work but that's OK I don't have my license yet so I had time to fix it up and get it ready for the big day. I now had a goal.
   There was a price to pay for freedom and independence. New tires, insurance, new stereo and speakers and that truck payment. Even though I couldn't drive it yet I still had to pay for it. But it would be ready when that day came.  Then it did. My parents like any loving parents did not just turn me loose on the streets. It was  gradual. Driving to and from work which was approximately 3 minutes from the house.  The occasional trip to the store for mom, which was where I worked.  I built trust over a period of months and the reins loosened more and more.  I still remember my first solo date. Up until that point it had been double dates with my best friend. He was 6 or seven years older so he had been driving awhile.   Wow the freedom to go wherever I wanted. All I had to remember to do was call mom and let her know I was there safe and call before I left. The rule to obey was curfew. If you enjoyed the privilege of your new found freedom make sure that you were not late for curfew. 
     With all of my new found freedom I had discovered more responsibility. What was once a carefree spend my money on whatever now had to go towards keeping my truck up.  Not only that I had to now manage my time to make sure I was home on time.  Did I learn to be responsible immediately, no it was a gradual process. ( still learning) I had to make decisions on what I deemed important. I had to curb impulse spending. I might need those few dollars for gas later in the week.  I had to sometimes cut a night of fun short to get home on time. Just because I had a taste of independence did not mean I no longer had to follow my parents rules.  Yes there is a point in all of this rambling. My point is this. Today we live in a society where people expect everything with no strings of responsibility. They want without the work involved in earning it. We as a nation are setting them up to fail. This cruel world is not about giving anything to you.  You have to make your way. You also have to realize there are consequences for your actions. Just because you have freedom it doesn't mean you can break the rules.    I was so proud for Cynthia's youngest daughter, Jeli (short for Anjelica). She wanted a job this summer.  She applied for one and got it.  I told her this would open a whole new world. She is now understanding the way it works.  We need more young adults and older adults for that matter,working making their way instead of just expecting mom and dad or the government to pay for it. 
You want to be an adult? ......... ... Well do ya? There is a price to pay for that freedom.
God Bless
Kenney Big Skinny Pope.
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment