Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Friday, August 28, 2015

Success

I have often wondered about the meaning of a successful life.  What does it truly mean? Does it mean that you have succeeded at everything you ever tried? Does it mean that you never once failed? Does it mean you have no regrets, or that you would have done some things a little different?  We all have a different gauge for measuring success in our lives.  Our accomplishments mean different things to different people.  I believe we all start out setting goals for our lives. Somewhere along the way life creeps in and our priorities change.  What was important yesterday, mmmm not so much today.  I had all sorts of goals I set for my life early on.  Looking back I can see now, maybe some were a bit lofty, but hey you have to work for something. I believe having goals keeps you motivated.  I think the two goals that stick out the most in my mind were firefighter and radio personality. I had a chance to some degree accomplish those particular goals, although I really hope the latter takes me a little bit further. I am not quite done with that one yet. I will say that if it doesn’t I’m fine with that too.  I accomplished what I set out to do.  Here is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
        No success ever came to be without some hard work and sacrifice.  As fun as being a firefighter was there were trainings to attend. There were sleepless nights. When an alarm goes off at 2 am you have to be prepared to get up and go.  There were weekends given up and time with family and friends missed. There is the giving of you to the point of exhaustion. There were hospital stays, injuries and so on and so on. What about radio personality? That was a tough gig for sure.  Ask anyone that has been in the business and they will confirm about a very tough business.  I started as a grunt just lugging equipment around driving the van to and from remotes.  I slowly worked my way into board operator which by no means is glamorous.  From that point once you are proficient as a board op you might get the opportunity if you possess certain skills to do a fill in shift for someone but only if the full time job allows for it.   Hey if not find a full time job that you can fit your dream into, just for the record I did all of that.  Then give up your weekends with your family just hoping for a chance at a full time gig. Then after all of the sacrifice and finally getting your shot at full time have it be built on lies that were promised and never fulfilled and have it all come crashing down.  Yep that was my dream. It was my goal.  Success I think not. But hey I got air time and that was something. I’m just reiterating having goals and striving for success is hard work and requires dedication. 
So all being said how is it that you measure success?  You as a human can only control so much. Sometimes successful things happen because you are in the right place at the right time.  Sometimes goals are reached because you know the right people. Sometimes it’s just plain blind luck.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t work hard to get there, it just means sometimes we have absolutely no control.  Sometimes no matter how hard you work someone else because of who they know gets the position over you.  It’s not fair it’s just the way life is. Sometimes someone wins the lottery. Sometimes someone who has paid no dues slaps every hard working musician in the face by winning some huge recording contract off of American Idol.  There is no rhyme or reason to success.
      Here is what I am learning more and more each day. First and foremost, slow down and look at all that you have around you.  There is in my case, a woman who is madly in love with you ( I do not know why) check mark that is success.  You have children that love and respect you, that’s a big ‘ol success check mark.  You have a very loving family, another check mark.  You have a way to support your family that is success in my book.  For everything we consider goals in our life we have been given those in our lives that will help us be successful and reach those goals.  I honestly believe success comes from the people that you allow to be a part of your life.  I am success because of relationships not in spite of them.  
   Here is the question for you. Do you consider yourself a success?  Why?  If not why aren’t you?  Break the chain of life sucking draining relationships and develop uplifting positive ones that will support and help you be all that you want to be.
Kenney Big Skinny Pope 

No comments:

Post a Comment