Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Sunday, June 7, 2015

What Next

The Bell has rang for the last time. Yes it takes a while to sink in. It's a milestone in your life. Time to start a new chapter. Not just for the Summer but forever. Life is going to change. People who you have spent the better part of your life with, will become a memory. You will want to see them more just to hang out but life gets in the way. That teacher that's your favorite she will be someone you always think back on fondly for giving you inspiration.
As I'm sitting through a graduation ceremony yesterday I couldn't help but think of my own. It's hard for me to think it has been 31 years since the day that changed my life forever. You sit there in your chair not realizing all that lies in front of you.   We had dreams and aspirations. We had goals and ideas how we want our life to look. I can't speak for all my classmates, for me life has unfolded differently than imagined.
Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. As I stated last week some things you just can't plan for. I wish I would have had a better plan. One that included a lot more college in it. My parents never really pushed me on that. I will say my mom once came to me and said if I became a radiation tech that she would pay my college tuition. I always saw that as a random job choice for me. I declined the offer told her it was not for me. Looking back I  wonder where I would be had I said yes.
Are there some things I would change? Most definitely. I am happy the way life turned out. In my mind I wonder what I could have done for a different result. How just one thing or decision could have pointed life in a different direction.
        I am just thinking about the rah rah speeches from yesterday. Go get the world. Never quit. Tell yourself you can do it. I wished I would have been better prepared. That's on me for taking school and education so lightly. You better be a willing learner in the life of hard knocks.
The future comes at us every second of the day. There is no going back wards. You only get to do it once. It's like shaping something in quick set cement. You can mold it and then the shape of life is set.  You can smooth the edges and maybe chisel out something here and there to alter it but its still the shape you started with. Here is that day for all of the seniors. A container of quick set is in front of you. 
Congratulations to all of you who  made it. It's an exciting and scary time. The future tends to be that way.  Remember it only gets tougher from here. What next? That's for you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment