Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sunday's

It's that time of the week to relax and slow down. A day of rest. We are moving at the speed of light all week, everyone going in different directions. Sunday is like a traffic light at a busy intersection. Everything should come to a stop and wait for the green light. ( Monday). It's a time of family and reflection of the past week. Its a time of laughter and prayer. It's a day of food and fellowship. It's a day to stand still and let God lead and teach.
At least that's what Sunday is to me. I will admit my spiritual life has changed a lot since I was a kid. I don't go to church like I should. I probably don't pray near enough. But I do listen to God and I do pray often. I know you should be in church on Sunday but I also believe you don't have to be in church to worship and honor God.
That's contrary to the way I was raised. I remember being in church every time the doors were open. All of my siblings in the row in front of mom and Dad. I remember that being the only time I would ever hear my dad sing. My dad was a roofer not a singer thankfully. I can remember being thumped in the ear if I got rowdy in church or worse being spanked in front of God and everybody. It was a different time back then.
Sundays were the days I think back on a lot. We would work Saturday prepping for Sundays. I remember many a Saturday night watching wrestling while shelling black eyed peas for lunch on Sunday. I remember mom slow cooking a pot roast for lunch after church. The smell filled the house. Sometimes friends would come over after church sometimes it was just us.
Fall Sundays were the best. We would eat lunch and watch football. Sometimes I would get to go play football with my older brothers. Those are days I won't forget.
We didn't have the internet or cell phone. We could seriously unplug from all of society and just relax. I was talking to a friend yesterday and was asking about a news story on earlier in the day. He said he hadn't heard the news because he had been out all day and was totally unplugged. I can't remember when was the last time I went a day like that.
I was taught Sunday is the day of rest. Get your mind right. Enjoy your family and great food. Listen and learn from God as he leads you. Pray for those in need whether family or friends. Get ready for another week. Enjoy your Sunday Don't live with regrets life is too short for that.
Regards

Kenney Pope

No comments:

Post a Comment