Life as I See It

Life as I See It
Me and my beautiful wife to be, Cynthia

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Taken For Granted

As I walked into the room I hit the light switch and slowly raised it to the on position.As the light filled the room and drove out the darkness, I realized that it was something taken for granted. I never gave it much thought before. I just turned on the switch and there it was, like it magically appeared. The only time I ever give it a second thought is when it doesn't come on. Then it's time to change the bulb or get an electrician out to fix the problem. I can relate to my truck in much the same way. As I start my trucks for my trip into work each morning I take it for granted that it will start. Maybe it's the trip into work itself, I think sometimes it's taken for granted that I will arrive safely.
     The reason I bring this up, is the health scare that shook my family last weekend.  My older brother experienced a stroke and for a day or so we were all  dangling in the wind. We were all worried and still  are as he is recovering.  He's made a remarkable recovery but has a ways to go to get back to 100 percent.  He's only 5 years older than me that's way too young for a stroke.
    The truth of the matter is this. We take our health for granted.  We get up and function the best we can all the while ignoring the warning signs. Maybe the light bulb flickers an hour or two before it finally goes poof as you turn it on and it's blown. I can't say because I've never paid any attention to it.  I've pretty much ignored the light except  when I've had to change the bulb.  We pretty much treat our bodies the same way. They are ignored until there is a problem. Then we want to fix it.  I will admit this is more of a guy issue.  I am the worst. I love to eat and not always healthy. I love bread, sweets and all things bad for me. Even though I know it's bad for me it doesn't change anything. Don't fix what ain't broken. The truth is unless we are getting regular check ups we don't have a clue what's broken. My brother found out some things that were in need of fixing. We are fortunate he had the chance to get them fixed. It could have been much worse.  Look as we get older and we get more worn parts on us let's make it a habit to do the occasional checkup so we at least have a fighting chance. Life is precious  and should never be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment